Saturday, January 5, 2013

Spec Ops: The Line is a weird game


So I've been wanting to play this game since I played the demo earlier this year. It was a pretty fun shooter game, with an interesting style. I finally picked it up on sale on Steam last week and got around to playing it this evening. It's a very short game, as I managed to beat it in one night. It's also a very weird game.

I'll start off by saying the game is overall pretty good. It's got great visuals, and a very cool soundtrack. I've never really gotten into music with lyrics as the backdrop to action in films and games, but it works really well in this. The gameplay mechanics are 100% straightforward military 3rd person shooter faire, so it's nothing to write home about. It feels solid, plays solid, same old-same old.

Where this game strays from the beaten path is how the game plays out. I read a little blurb on Kotaku that summed it up pretty well (and I generally do not like Kotaku's articles):

"At the end of it all, you didn't feel all-powerful or even like you always did the right thing. You just felt wrung out. A lot more like real war-and real life-than other action games."

At times in the game, I didn't like what I was doing. There were some decisions you have to make that are tough to make and I didn't like the outcome of either. I understand why this game does what it does, and that is to give a glimpse at what actual war is like. I also understand that it is impossible to capture what actual war is like within a video game, but I'm fairly sure that war isn't fun and at the end of it you definitely don't feel like celebrating.

I suggest you give this game a whirl, though. It's not too terribly difficult, and only takes a few hours to complete. It's full of some memorable moments, but be warned there are some fucked up things you do in the game and like I said previously I wasn't comfortable with a lot of it. But that is the feeling the game is supposed to invoke and I believe it's worth it just to experience the game for what it is: an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment