Thursday, December 20, 2012

The world ends tomorrow, so let me tell you my choice for 2012 Game of the Year 2k12

Spoiler alert; it's Chrono Trigger.

Frog is a fuckin' badass, btw.
The year is winding down and everyone on Earth is trying to sift through the rubble of the looming apocolypse to find the one thing that will bring their mind peace...what some bloke on the internet thinks is the pinnacle of gaming for the past 365 days. And folks, I'm here to tell you that I am some bloke and I am on the internet. So without further adieu, here is my top game of the year.

I have to be honest with you, I haven't touched this game this year at all. I actually haven't touched it in almost two years. Actually, this game came out almost 20 years ago. But you know what? I don't give two fucks about you, or your opinions. If you want to write a blog about games and name Call of Battle 3: Premium Ops DLC Edition game of the year, then sign up for a blogger account and write that shit down! I'm sure we'd all love to hear about how fuckin' sweet zombies mode is, you asshole.

Anyway, now that the hostility is channeled into a ineffective manner, let's continue with my praise for this not-lost and quite remembered game! Chrono Trigger, as many of you know, is fucking great. I didn't know to what extent this game ruled until I played through the damn thing. It's so good, I'm considering another go through the story with my overpowered gear! I think I may do that soon!

Chrono Trigger was originally released on the Super Bacon Dispenser System (SBDS for short), which would have been awesome if it were true. The only thing to make Chrono Trigger any better is to consume bacon while playing it. In reality, it was launched on the Super NES in the mid-90's to much deserved acclaim. Since that day, it has been one of (if not the most) sought after SNES game in the library. You'd be lucky to snag a complete copy for under a buck-twenty in US doll hairs.

To break it down to the brass tacks here, Chrono Trigger is a traditional console RPG. I'm sure if you have any sort of history in games, you would pick up what CT is throwin' down. It's so incredibly well made, it holds up incredibly well to this day. Even with the resurgence of retro gaming these days, people who aren't necessarily into retro games will more than likely get into it and have a blast playing it. The story is pretty straightforward, but the character development and execution is brilliant throughout. It definitely is the benchmark on which all other RPGs are measured.

I waited a very long time to finally play through Chrono Trigger, and I really wish I hadn't done that. I wanted to play it on it's original format on the SNES, but that is much too costly. I eventually picked it up for the DS and played through that. I don't think it detracted from the experience in the least, that is to say the port is very good. If you haven't played through this wonderful game, I suggest you do. All kidding aside, it is truly one of the greatest games I've ever played in my entire life and I whole-heartedly believe you will enjoy it if you already haven't.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

These are games you should play that actually came out this year:


Welp, you're dead.

Legend of Grimrock - This game is old school to the bones. It's a re-vamp of classic dungeon crawling games of yore. It's fucking incredibly hard, and completely scares the shit out of me. It's also super hard to put down, so give it a go. It's also like $15 which makes it the bargain of the century. There is a Steam sale going on as I write this and you may be able to get a little bit more off the top of that!


The art direction of this series is amazing.

Torchlight II - I guess this is the year of the PC for me, because I straight up bought a shit load of them. Torchlight II was intended to be the Diablo 3 killer, and in my opinion it raped Diablo 3's bloody corpse with an iron tank dick. That is so gross. In reality, this game probably sold nowhere near the units of Diablo 3 with it's hype bullet train but that is A-OK. Torchlight II is such a great game, I can't even formulate words. It's incredibly easy to pick up and endlessly fun to play. You go in and out of like 5000000 dungeons clicking on fucking raccoons and shit, but it's fun 100% of the time. I suggest you make an Engineer and just uses cannons. Yes, CANNONS. Shit is amazing.


Luke can talk to animals. I shit you not.

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - All kidding aside from everything here, this is actually probably my favorite game of the year but I haven't beaten it yet. I've played every single Prof. Layton game to date, and so far this is the best technologically. I still haven't hit the zinger in the story, so I don't really have any comments on that. The way the game plays is an improvement over the previous, adding a little bit more depth to clicking on everything to find hint coins. I do believe most of the puzzles are too easy, either that or I am a genius (and I do not think this). If you have never played a Professor Layton game, you owe it to yourself to get a DS and fucking play one. I suggest the Diabolic Box or Unwound Future, both of which are stellar. I will not lie, Unwound Future made me straight up cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment