Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Neo Geo MVS is probably the best thing ever.

So this is a thing that I own. It's a 1-slot Neo Geo MVS. In case you don't know what that is, it's basically a cartridge based arcade platform released by SNK in the early 90's. This particular machine is a hodge-podge of kits put together, but we'll worry about that later.

There are two of my cartirdges, I should have put something
next to them for size reference.
They are about the size of a Nintendo 64.
First of all, the Neo Geo is a legendary gaming console. It started off as an arcade platform which used interchangable cartridges, which allowed arcade operators to just purchase new cartridges instead of brand new machines. This kept costs down for operators, and allowed them to swap out games more often. The system was a HUGE success, and is in fact supported to this day (at least maintenance wise, games have been out of production for a few years).

The arcade platform took off, so SNK literally slapped the boards in a plastic casing and sold them as the Neo Geo AES for home use. There are differences in the cartridges, so operators wouldn't go out and buy the cheaper home versions of the games. However, AES cartridges were still several hundred dollars. What is interesting is that MVS carts nowadays are considerably cheaper than home carts. You can pick up Metal Slug X for your MVS for about $40 or so, whereas the AES cart for the home system is several hundred dollars. I haven't tracked prices on these things in a while, so that might not be the case these days. I will say I bought Fatal Fury Special for $20 with shipping included from Canada.

Growing up, I always wanted to get a Neo Geo. I used to look longingly at AES listings on eBay back when eBay was still good, and that was a long ass time ago. They were (and still are) fairly expensive to own. The console will set you back AT LEAST $300, and most of the time that doesn't include shipping. Not to mention if you want to play games (good ones) they all costs $150+. Every once in a while you can find a good deal, and walk away with a full console for MAYBE $250 on eBay with shipping. That's rare.

Fatal Fury Special
The story of how I came about owning this beast is pretty sweet, at least in my opinion. It all started when my friend Brian and I built a MAME machine a long time ago. Brian funded the project, and I supplied the garage to assemble it. We printed out plans to cut the wood on the internet, bought all the parts and put that shit together. The final result was pretty janky, but that damn thing worked and was a shitload of fun. I remember sitting at his apartment playing Gauntlet until I practically fell asleep on top of the machine. At this point, we were both addicted to the hobby.

A few months later, we attended our first arcade auction and pretty much had an absolute blast. If you ever get a chance to go to an arcade auction, do it. You could end up getting something awesome for next to nothing, and either way you get to play a shitload of games. The auctions have a preview period that starts at like 8am, and this allows you to go around the lots and check out the games to make sure they work. After a few hours, the fast-talkin' auctioneer comes out and starts yammering next to machines while people place bids using a piece of paper. It's quite addicting. One time I got in a bid battle with some jack-off over a Atomiswave machine and lost. Damn, I wanted that machine so bad!
Whatchu know bout dat Metal Slug X mini-marquee?

Before I continue, I have a few tips on going to an auction. First, don't worry about getting there too early, the preview period is loooooooooooooooooooong. Second, bring a flashlight and extension cord, you will need these if you plan on buying anything. Third, bring a truck or a trailer just in case. Fourth, hope you don't want a Golden Tee, because those go for the most money every single time.

This is what is inside an arcade machine.
Anyway, I ended up getting my machine at the first auction we went to. We had scoped out a few Neo Geo cabinets in the line-up and gave them a look-see. When the bidding portion began, I ended up winning the first Neo Geo machine in the line-up and it wasn't even this machine. It was a converted Nintendo PlayChoice 10 cabinet, but it had Metal Slug X in it. I bought it for $325 if I recall correctly. The bidding continued, and Brian won the next machine in the line-up, which is this machine and it came with Bubble Bobble. He paid like $150 or something like that.

After we won our cabinets, we realized we drove there in his Sentra. Sooooo, I had to call my dad, who ended up driving down to Lakewood to pick up the machines and drive them back up to my house. Once we got the machines back up to my house, we ended up swapping cabinets, but keeping our respective game carts. I don't really know why we did, but I wanted this cabinet and Brian wanted mine, so we swapped. Turns out the cabinet I bought had janky wiring in the control panel and wouldn't work right, and he had to rewire it when I gave it to him. The machine he won, and subsequently gave to me, worked perfectly fine, save for a little flicker in the screen while it was warming up.
Metal Slug X

I have a few games for the thing; Metal Slug X, Fatal Fury Special and King of Fighters 94. All three of these games kick ass. I really want to pick up a copy of SVC Chaos for it, but I've heard the MVS cart is a little laggy compared to the dedicated board. Since most MVS carts are pretty cheap, I'll probably try to pick up a few more games for it in the near future. You can never have too many MVS games.

The cabinet itself is is fairly good condition. It's a converted something, I can't remember what it was. I think it was a Donkey Kong Jr. or something. What is nice about it is the control panel is metal, so it's pretty durable. I believe the monitor is a replacement one, as it's not a full 26" like the cabinet holds which is why there is a red bezel around the monitor. It still looks great and has pretty much no burn-in. The controls still work, but the joysticks could use replacing. The board only supports mono sound output, so the one speaker is all I get.

Unfortunately for me, this thing just sits in my dad's basement. I haven't really had a place to put it other than there, because the thing is fucking gargantuan. It's a small cabinet by comparison, but it's still pretty huge and heavy. Maybe I can talk my girlfriend into letting me put it in the apartment. Probably not. I really wish I could play this thing more often, it really brings me back to the days when I would kill time in the arcade at Southlake Mall while my mom shopped for towels or something. I really wish arcades like that still existed today, because I'd spend all of my money and time in them. Arcades are awesome.









No comments:

Post a Comment